Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Hot Pink Cross Quilt Block Tutorial

Use this tutorial to make cross blocks fast. Here I show you how to make hot pink cross blocks that have 1 inch wide crosses. Mix up your quilt by using different widths. My inspiration has been with all the great cross quilts on flickr lately. Color combo inspired by this pillow.

Hot Pink Cross Quilt

326

327


Step 1

Step 1

Gather your fabric. I used hot pink and off white. Both are a heavier weight 100% cotton. Amount of fabric will depend on how big you want your finished quilt. This tutorial will show you a quick way to make the blocks and then you can make as many as you choose!

Step 2

Step 2

Cut two strips that are 1.5 inch wide by 18 inch long

Step 3

Step 3

See 1.5 inches wide

Step 4

Step 4

See 20 inches long

Step 5

Step 5

Now cut one of these strips up into 3 strips that are 6 inches long. (I know- why cut 20 inches long if you are only using 18 inches? Well, I always cut extra for my mistakes which always happen. wink wink)

Step 6

Step 6

So now you have one long strip 1.5 inches by 20 inches and 3 small strips that are 1.5 inches by 6 inches

Step 7

Step 7

Now cut two white strips that are 3 inches wide by 20 inches long.

Step 8

Step 8

We will be sewing it up like this- with the pink in the middle

Step 9

Step 9

Sew up one strip of white to the pink. 1/4 inch seam or so.

Step 10

Step 10

See stitched one white to the pink.

Step 11

Step 11

See the other white strip stitched on the other side of the pink. Seams both on the same side.

Step 12

Step 12

See my messy back in case you weren't sure which side the seams should be

Step 13

Step 13

I pressed the seams out on all my squares. I am not sure if this is the scientifically correct way to press the seams for this type of square- I'm just telling you what I went with. Keep in mind when buying the white that you don't want one that is too see through or the seams might show through.

Step 14

Step 14

Press the front too. We like pressing around here

Step 15

Step 15

Now with the the strip on its side like shown- cut the big strip into 3 pieces- each 6 inches long.

Step 16

Step 16

See the three pieces. Now they are all roughly 6.75 by 6 inches. It's okay if they are a little off- that is what gives this quilt its flavor.

Step 17

Step 17

Now cut each of these three squares in two pieces. You can slice right up the middle if you want your crosses perfect or you can mix it up. I cut mine all slightly different. Some more than others.

Step 18

Step 18

Remember those three pieces we cut back in the beginning? Well we will be using them here like this.

Step 19

Step 19

Sew the pink strips to one half of the white/pink combo strip

Step 20

Step 20

See stitched like this

Step 21

Step 21

Seams in the back

Step 22

Step 22

Whoops little messy- but seams in the back is the important thing here.

Step 23

Step23

Looks like this in the back before you press it again.

Step 24

Step 24

Press the seams out again. It starts to look neater

Step 25

Step 25

Press the front too.

Ta Da!

Ta da!

Ta da! You just made three blocks super fast! You can add white borders if you like or just stitch them up sans borders.

Also, for your next three batch cut different width strips. I did it like this:

3 strips with 1 inch wide pink
3 strips with .75 inch pink (this one is tiny and the seams wouldn't press really neat but I love the smaller crosses)
3 strips with 3.5 inch pink.
And so on and so forth

I always used 3 inch whites on the sides- I just make more scrap that way.

29 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

Oh how I wish I had had this before I sent off my last quilting bee block!

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial Betty! I'm definitely adding this to my list of quilts to make. Thanks for posting this!

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial, thanks so much for posting it! The quilt looks lovely. You quilted it diagonally right? Were did you start quilting and did you mark the fabric? Sorry for all the questions but I just messed up my quilt and your quilting always looks so perfect!

jenny said...

this is awesome! I was actually thinking about doing this for the back of my Common Threads quilt.

Two Dogs and a Quilt said...

Great tutorial! I love the look of these cross quilts. And your color choice is really great.

jacquie said...

great tut betty! i definitely want to play with this.

The Stitching Surgeon said...

awesome tutorial! i so want to make this now!!!

Oiyi said...

Thanks for the tute. Love the quilt.

www.oiyi.blogspot.com

Victoria said...

Fab looking quilt!

gina said...

wow - this is awesome - thank you so much! now I just need to get my act together & use this wonderful tutorial...I am looking for some kind of 2009 challenge for myself, maybe I should make it sewing/quilt related!

RachelDenbow said...

YAY! This is like the quilt that has been in my head all year! Thanks for the tip on sewing long strips and then cutting them. So simple and yet it wouldn't have crossed my mind.

No pun intended.

Anonymous said...

this is wonderful!!

Memories Of Mine said...

It looks like a lot of work goes into a quilt.

PS: I love the idea of your inspiration line in a previous post.

LauraJ said...

Awesome tute!!

calicodaisy said...

Nice. Love the colors your chose, too. -- Michele

Rebekah said...

thank you so much for this tutorial! I love how the blocks turned out!

Anonymous said...

sigh. So beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

You are such a talented quilter! I love visiting your blog. It makes me want to learn how to do it myself!

Anonymous said...

beautiful! thank you for sharing.

Millie said...

Oh wow, thank you so much! I just love the pink cross quilt.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your fabulous quilt so pretty and with a modern edge!

Callie said...

It's so beautiful pink quilt!! Best for baby bedding set!! Love it!!

LINDSAY said...

This is so beautiful!! One of these days I WILL find time to make a quilt!

Sondra said...

Amazing, love both quilts, especially the gray and yellow. Striking!

Sondra said...

Amazing, love both quilts, especially the gray and yellow. Striking!

Sondra said...

Amazing, love both quilts, especially the gray and yellow. Striking!

Sondra said...

Amazing, love both quilts, especially the gray and yellow. Striking!

Suzanne said...

I am very impressed with your tutorial! It's so clear and well documented. Thank you.

Lindsay Conner said...

This is gorgeous! I love the varying widths. :)