Saturday, January 10, 2009

Little Swiss Flag Garland Tutorial

Who can stop at just one cross? They are highly addictive. See my previous tutorial for a quick way to make cross blocks. Once you have a few you can make this garland if quilts are a bit much still.

Little Swiss Flag Garland

I used vintage fabrics and salvaged linens for mine.

Little Swiss Flag Garland

Little Swiss Flag Garland

Little Swiss Flag Garland

Step 1

Step 1

Take the cross block and place it wrong side to wrong side with matching back fabric or fabric of your choice.

Step 2

Step 2

Step 3

Stitch two straight lines down the squares and their backing.

Step 3

Step 4

Cut the blocks apart.

Step 4

Step 5

Use scalloped scissors or zigzag scissors for the edges.

Step 6

Step 5

Step 7

Here is where we make the jam folks. start on one end leaving plenty of extra thread- 10 plus inches. Then keep stitching all the squares together- without cutting them apart- just keep stitching away, one right after the other.

Step 8

So it looks like this.

Tada! Your little swiss flag garland.

Little Swiss Flag Garland

7 comments:

Two Dogs and a Quilt said...

What a creative idea for the crosses. Very sweet.

Julia said...

I love this!!! very cute.

Oiyi said...

You rock!!

www.oiyi.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh this is so much fun! I may have to play with this. :~)

Mrs Jelly said...

They are so sweet and I *love* the way you've photographed them - I might have to pinch your idea for photographing my bunting.

Quick! Drop by my blog - I'm having a mad fabric giveaway, but it finishes tonight (UK time).

essbesee said...

I know this post was all about the swiss flags and all, but can we just talk about your awesome lamp for a minute? I'm having lamp envy.

Joanna said...

Love this! I have only made one garland but really want to make them for every room in the house!!