Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Up my sleeve

I've been very into fabric printing currently. I started using contact paper for stencils. They only last for a half dozen to a dozen prints, but they do stick nicely to the fabric. I've been using salvaged linen- just pieces I have cut from things. I love that it is both cheap and green to use what you have or can save from the dumpster.

IMG_6748

This first print is from Lotta Jansdotter's book on printing. I used a metallic fabric paint from Michael's craft store.

IMG_6742

This next one is of my own design. Birch trees on a natural linen color. I used plain black paint for this piece.

I plan to work these fabrics into a quilt. I initially started printing wanting to make a version of What a Bunch of Square quilt by Denyse Schmidt. I still might do that, but the birch fabric has me leaning in a different direction now.

I found this swatch swap online and it looks like a great idea for anyone else interested in printing. My prints are still very experimental right now so I decided to hold off on any swapping.

14 comments:

Project Ecoart said...

Great job! I love the prints. can't wait to see more...

Meg said...

I love the prints! That birch fabric is amazing! How is that book? The next ASB?

Anonymous said...

Just lovely. It would be such a surprise to include some of that in a quilt.

Rachel said...

Oh, I love Lotta Jansdotter's work, too! Your prints look really great!

jacquie said...

That birch print would make lovely pillows.

Rebekah said...

your birch print is spectacular!

Bec said...

Wow, these prints are fantastic! Love that you're using reclaimed/recycled fabrics too :)

Unknown said...

I love your prints - really beautiful. Your quilt is looking amazing too!

Melin said...

Thanks for dropping by over at my blog. You're prints were so inspiring I had to do a post on Lotta's book...and order a copy. I especially love the orange print.

kelly said...

Oh! That birch print is amazing! Awesome work!!

Amanda said...

These are lovely! Nice work. I have that book and have been dying to try a few things out...you have inspired me to give it a go!

Elizabeth said...

I love your prints! Can't wait to see what kind of a quilt you end up making with them.

Anonymous said...

love the birch tree print! very creative idea.

the Campfollower said...

Great Birch trees! I can't wait to see what you do with them.