Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Up my sleeve

I've been very into fabric printing currently. I started using contact paper for stencils. They only last for a half dozen to a dozen prints, but they do stick nicely to the fabric. I've been using salvaged linen- just pieces I have cut from things. I love that it is both cheap and green to use what you have or can save from the dumpster.

IMG_6748

This first print is from Lotta Jansdotter's book on printing. I used a metallic fabric paint from Michael's craft store.

IMG_6742

This next one is of my own design. Birch trees on a natural linen color. I used plain black paint for this piece.

I plan to work these fabrics into a quilt. I initially started printing wanting to make a version of What a Bunch of Square quilt by Denyse Schmidt. I still might do that, but the birch fabric has me leaning in a different direction now.

I found this swatch swap online and it looks like a great idea for anyone else interested in printing. My prints are still very experimental right now so I decided to hold off on any swapping.

14 comments:

projectecoart said...

Great job! I love the prints. can't wait to see more...

Meg said...

I love the prints! That birch fabric is amazing! How is that book? The next ASB?

Karyn said...

Just lovely. It would be such a surprise to include some of that in a quilt.

Rachel said...

Oh, I love Lotta Jansdotter's work, too! Your prints look really great!

Jacquie said...

That birch print would make lovely pillows.

Rebekah C said...

your birch print is spectacular!

Bec said...

Wow, these prints are fantastic! Love that you're using reclaimed/recycled fabrics too :)

Rachael Rabbit said...

I love your prints - really beautiful. Your quilt is looking amazing too!

66 Stitches said...

Thanks for dropping by over at my blog. You're prints were so inspiring I had to do a post on Lotta's book...and order a copy. I especially love the orange print.

kelly said...

Oh! That birch print is amazing! Awesome work!!

Amanda said...

These are lovely! Nice work. I have that book and have been dying to try a few things out...you have inspired me to give it a go!

Elizabeth said...

I love your prints! Can't wait to see what kind of a quilt you end up making with them.

apple cyder said...

love the birch tree print! very creative idea.

the Campfollower said...

Great Birch trees! I can't wait to see what you do with them.