Thursday, December 6, 2007

Holiday Mix-up

Even though it is heading towards Christmas I am still reminiscing about the more recent holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving. This little turkey display belongs to my mother. She has been collecting turkeys for about five years now.



100_1209


100_1201

I love early fall and Halloween so much. The whole freezing thing hasn’t really sunk in yet for the season. It is just a bit chillier so that you can wear light jackets and pile on cozy blankets at night. Next year darn it, I am going to decorate for the Halloween. Now that I rigged up that branch with festive things for Christmas I can just use it all year. I’ll try some black tulle and white lights maybe. I picked up this a yard of this cute Halloween Fabric at Joanne’s over the weekend. It caught my eye by having a white cat decked out for trick-or-treating versus a traditional black cat. I love the little skeleton necklace.



100_1238

New England has had quite a cold-snap the past few days averaging in the high 20’s. Misty has really been feeling it, being a Tennessean and all. Her fur is so short and then and her body so skinny that the cold just goes right through her. I went all out and got her some warm jackets at ruffwear.com and booties from Granite Gear. If you are an active dog lover (you hike, run, and bike with your dog) you will love their site. The dog on the front page is so great. Granite Gear’s stuff is top-notch too. Having worked in the outdoor industry off and on I have heard plenty of customers raving about their goodies. I like their simple yet sturdy designs. Both of these companies also sell stuff through REI and EMS.

A friend of mine described this wonderful pumpkin dip as so good she could drink it. I hope to make it this weekend. Great idea to serve with the recommended gingersnaps or apples. I have no idea where the recipe originates.



Sweet and Creamy Pumpkin Dip

This easy dip is the perfect appetizer or dessert to serve with gingersnaps for any fall or winter gathering. The warmth of pumpkin pie spice and the citrus flavor from orange extract go great with pumpkin.

Makes 20 (2-tablespoon) servings.
Prep Time: 5 minutesRefrigerate: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
• 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
• 2 cups confectioners' sugar
• 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
• 1 tablespoon McCormick® Pumpkin Pie Spice
• 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Ginger
• 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Orange Extract
• Gingersnaps (optional)

Directions: 1. Beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add pumpkin and remaining ingredients; mix well.2. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until ready to serve. Serve with Gingersnaps and/or apple or pear slices. Toss fruit with a little lemon juice mixed with water to prevent browning.

No comments: