Monday, February 25, 2008

It's good to be back

It really is good to be back. I really enjoy blogging. It helps keep my creativity flowing. You may remember my love affair with these quilts from my flickr friend. Well, I searched everywhere for gauze fabric and finally ended up ordering these great blue colors from Denver Fabrics. It was on sale for around $4 a yard. Not steep by any means, but the gauze quilt needed to be several layers of gauze since it is such thin material. Sorry these shots aren't really my best.

IMG_1003

IMG_1004

This gauze quilt is four layers with a layer of flannel in between. It is throw sized and used around 7 yards of fabric. I had also purchased a green color in case I wanted to do different colors. Anyway, I feel quite guilty since all that gauze added up with shipping and everything to be $54. Yikes! I've been trying to be so good since vacation is just a month away. The real kicker is I just saw that Jo-anne's has gauze regular price at $5.99. With a coupon it will be a steal.

IMG_1005

I think I am done making gauze quilts for the moment though. For one, it's pricey and for another reason it is really damn difficult to quilt. I mean you really can't quilt it. I used a sharp #9 needle and just did some edge stitching to keep the whole thing together. I didn't have the recommended darning foot and instead used my presser foot. I actually had to hand applique the circles on. I never, ever hand stitch things. You can kind of tell.

In the end I do like my final gauze quilt. It is like soft cloud to wrap up in. I also like the contrasting back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is really pretty! I can see where gauze would be very difficult to work with, but I bet it was worth it.

Can we see photos of the contrasting back?

What do you do with all your quilts? Do you have them displayed somewhere? Folded on a shelf? Do you give them as gifts?