Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Cathedral Windows

I tried this tutorial for the Cathedral Windows block here (very well done tutorial- it was easy to follow with great pics!) The finished product is amazing and beautiful-despite my missing a fold somewhere along the way- oops! I used vintage squares for the windows.

I have to say though, a bit too much folding and ironing for me. I was actually trying it out because I thought it would be amazing to have the ladies in one of the online quilt bees make these. It takes a ton of fabric! So I have come up with another block for the bee (coming soon).

I've actually had to go buy fabric for my quilt bee month on Threads Together Quilt Bee (March) and Busy Little Quilting Bee (March too!) It was very pleasing to buy fabric and I am still on the hunt. I need to score some orangy reds this weekend, wash everything and send it out. Can't wait!

Cathedral Windows

Cathedral Windows

9 comments:

Valerie said...

If you like the look of the cathedral windows but don't like the extra fabric and folding, you might take a look at this idea.

http://www.equilters.com/library/jeans/jeans_gallbaros.html

Here's another one done with cottons.
http://www.exploringwomanhood.com/homelife/ideas/pom-sep03.htm

I've almost finished one of these with denim and corduroy and love the result. I did enlarge the pattern (I think I used a 10.5" dinner plate and 7.25" square for templates). I also stitched an X across the squares before folding the edges over. I just satin stitched the raw edges in a contrasting thread to liven up the back of the quilt. Oh, and I put scraps of batting under the squares in mine because I like puffy, heavy quilts.

But the look is divine without the hassle of folding, ironing, cutting curved pieces, etc.

Shannon said...

I've always wanted to try a cathedral windows quilt, but I would hate to have to send you my first try. I can't wait to see the fabric you send us!

Kelly said...

I so love this! I saw something like this recently, but had no idea that it had a name - let alone tutes for it - I'm so excited to try it!

Sara said...

I have always loved the cathedral window pattern but also know that I don't have the patience to make one the orginal way. I will, however, try on using the link in valerie's comment (I had stumbled across that before and could not find it until seeing her comment).

Amy said...

All I have to say is..."WOW"! Amazing work!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see what fabrics you send out for Threads Together!

Anonymous said...

I love your fabric choices here, so sweet. That looks like a really great tutorial. You did a fantastic job!

Shorty said...

Beautiful! I actually tried some of these blocks several years ago. I need to try more and put them all together b/c I love looking at the ones I completed.

molly said...

I am trying this now. I actually don't mind all the ironing b/c in the end, i wont have to quilt or bind....

love your fabric choices.

molly